Skip to main content

Week 37: A small detail I love #52Ancestorsin52weeks

 My Aunt Meg was born Margaret Keir Anderson in May 1909, the daughter of Margaret Keir Adams and John Anderson, as yet unmarried. Young Meg was therefore brought up by her maternal grandparents, Margaret and James Adams. We find her there in the 1911 census with her mum, Margaret, her grandparents and three of her mother's younger siblings.

In that census, her mother has no occupation listed, so presumably she was looking after Meg and not just expecting her own mother to do that for her. Despite being an unmarried mother, Margaret must have continued to see John Anderson as, four years later, in 1915, Margaret gave birth to a sister for Meg, my own mum Helen Young Anderson. They had actually got married a few months before this event. It was what was termed an 'irregular' marriage, a marriage my declaration in front of two witnesses, a type of marriage legal in Scotland until 1940.

So around this time, young Meg and her mother would have moved out of the Adams family home to set up home with John Anderson. Over the next few years, Meg gained three more siblings, David, James (who sadly died young) and Anne. Her family was now complete.

At the age of 25, Meg married William Lannigan, my Uncle Bill. They moved into a house in the same street as her parents and, six years later, they welcomed their only child, Tom.

All of the above happened long before I came on the scene. Tom was born in 1940 and I only arrived in 1957, so Tom was my 'big' cousin. However, I did spend a lot of time around my Aunt Meg and her family after we moved back to Wishaw from Newcastle upon Tyne in 1964, as we also lived nearby. When we lived in Newcastle and came up to visit my gran (Margaret Anderson), I often stayed at my Aunt Meg's and I can still remember the layout of her house, which was an upper flat in a building of four flats, with a big garden at the side. Tom was around until he got married in 1963, but he was such a lovely man anytime we met at family events.

I would not have described my Aunt Meg as 'lovely' though :) - as a child, I found her quite formidable. She always seemed to be busy - baking, cleaning, going to her church - and I think small children may have irritated her. Her faith was important to her. She was a Baptist and there were certain things she would not tolerate happening on a Sunday - or on other days for that matter. But she wasn't wholly serious and stern - she had a very infectious laugh and giggle and I did like her - but she certainly would not tolerate any nonsense. I think she may have had a bit of a chip on her shoulder - of all of her siblings, she was still the only one who lived in the same small house all her married life and who worked for a living -  and of course being the eldest that was probably not as she would have wished it. When I started doing family tree research and found out that she had been illegitimate, my mother told me not to tell her I had found that out as she would have been mortified!

So my impressions of Aunt Meg mainly stem from what I thought of her as a child. That is not always the most accurate impression of a person. So I was delighted when I came across a 'character reference' in a box of old photos that her son Tom passed over to me. I think it speaks volumes to the sort of person my Aunt Meg was. This is the "small detail (or details) I love" - giving me more insight into my aunt.


It is a job reference given by her employer, Davidson's, a local drapers in 1931. It reads:

The bearer Margaret Anderson has been in my employment for the last eight years.

She is a most energetic and very capable assistant of a bright and cheerful nature. thorough, honest and straightforward and an excellent saleswoman. In the last respect she has no equal.

She is an exceptionally careful stockkeeper. ..............

It is with much regret that I part with her, but for the continued depression in trade, she would not be leaving my employment now.

I trust she will shortly be fortunate in securing a situation where her undoubted abilities will be appreciated.

What a find! My Aunt Meg for all her stern and sometimes austere nature was clearly a talented, hardworking woman. 

This find is the sort of small detail that can shed a lot of light on a person. I'm so glad she kept it and it eventually came into my possession.

Meg, Bill, her mother Margaret and son Tom.

(Family photo)







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2026 Week 2: A record which adds colour #52Ancestorsin52Weeks

My husband's paternal grandmother, Janina Ciupka, was born in 1902 in a small town, Nieszawa, north of Warsaw, Poland, on the banks of the River Vistula. She was the youngest of 12 children, only 8 of whom survived to adulthood. At this time Poland had been occupied by their three neighbours, Germany, Russia and Austria and Warsaw was under Russian control.  Her family were very wealthy, owning granaries, bakeries, brick factories and carriage factories and they also bred white horses for the Russian Tzars. As with her elder siblings, Janina was taught by a private governess and the family had many servants, including cooks and cleaners. She obviously was leading a very privileged life. There was little known about the  period of her life from about 1909-1919, The family had moved south eastwards to Haczow around 1909. The reasons for the move seems to have been a combination of business and politics, as Haczow was under Austrian rule, considered more liberal than that of the ...

2024 Week 19: Preserve #52Ancestorsin52Weeks

 A few years ago, I came into the possession of a family bible. It was the family bible of my paternal grandparents, John McAra and Christina Walker. Until her death in 2018, the bible had been in the hands of my Aunt Inez, widow of my Uncle Will McAra. When I started enquiring as to its whereabouts, I found that it was her grandson, John, who now had it. John himself had no real interest in it at all, so he was quite happy to hand it over to me. However, it was, to say the least, in a bit of a state. The front cover was completely detached and there were many loose pages as the spine of the book was also damaged and detached. I had no choice but to take it to a book repairer in Glasgow, where it was repaired as best it could be. The bible itself had been originally published in Glasgow in the late 19th century. In Victorian times it was common for Christian families to have such a large bible in which they could record events such as births, marriages and deaths. The one I have al...

2026 Week 1: An ancestor I admire #52Ancestorsin52weeks

 My mum, Helen Young Anderson was born on the 27th of June 1915, the second eldest daughter of John Anderson and Margaret Keir Adams. Her father John had originally worked as a tinsmith and was a steelworker at the time of my mum's birth, an occupation that had exempted him from serving in WW1. John and Margaret had only married four months before my mum was born and their ceremony, conducted at Hope Street Registry Office in Glasgow was an 'irregular marriage', one not conducted by a church minister (and therefore not approved by the Church) but one the Church accepted as alternative to a couple 'living in sin'. The reason for this probably being that Margaret was already pregnant with my mum and had already had another child by John, my aunt Meg, who by this time was six years old, being brought up by Margaret's parents, my great grandparents, James Adams and Margaret Keir. John and Margaret went on to have three more children over the next eight years - Anne,...